Return to Website

***TINY PALS***
Pet Forum

*ELLIOTTHAUS*
is for ANIMAL WELFARE!
Are You Aware Of The Difference Between
"ANIMAL RIGHTS" & "ANIMAL WELFARE"?
Are you ready or will your children be ready for a future without pets?
Please post your feelings!

***TINY PALS***
Pet Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: animal rights vs animal welfare,my major rant

I can't condone protesters who use violence but, being a peaceful protester who has attended demo's at Huntingdon Life Sciences I can assure you that we don't all behave in this manner.However, if you read the scientific arguments for the use of animals in medical research you would realise that no matter how similar that species may appear to us, genetically it is still different, meaning that whatever drug is tested on it the result for the animal will not always be the same as the result in a human. Companies like Huntingon use animal testing as a way of getting a product onto the market (and most of their so-called "life saving research" is for cold/flu remedies,pesticides and food additives)by saying that it has been found to be safe on animals and is therefore safe for us. However, this doen't mean that it is, and when somebody does die from taking such a drug(it happens a lot more often than you think)the so-called scientists then change their mind, stating that animals and people are different and that is why such an error was made. There is no drug on the market that couldn't have been dicovered without the use of animals, as there is no sure fire way of knowing a drug is safe until trials have been carried out on human volunteers.Did you know that tobacco companies denied the fact that smoking causes lung cancer for decades because the variety of animals they tested on did not show this link? Or that if it was down to the research on cats we would still be using highly poisonous asbestos in our homes as it has no effect on felines? Or maybe you didn't know that heart disease research and heart bypass surgery was delayed for years (ensuring the death of thousands of people-could have been a member of your family, think about it)because they were tesing on dogs, and still are, although they now know that a dogs heart has to be manipulated to even come close to a human heart? Before you take the uninformed attidude that animal testing is the way to find cures for disease, try reading up on it first.I'm sure families who have lost someone close to them because a drug that the deceased has taken to make them better(being declared safe for animals) has killed them,would not appreciate such an ignorant view.But then, we are children of mass marketing, and we'll believe what the big money makers tell us, won't we?