Return to Website

***TINY PALS***
Pet Forum

*ELLIOTTHAUS*
is for ANIMAL WELFARE!
Are You Aware Of The Difference Between
"ANIMAL RIGHTS" & "ANIMAL WELFARE"?
Are you ready or will your children be ready for a future without pets?
Please post your feelings!

***TINY PALS***
Pet Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Declawing Siamese?

Is it ok to declaw siamese cats? I heard they hide their claws but if u kept them would they claw your furniture? Please give me opinions.Is it better to declaw siamese or not?

Thanks

~*~Misha~*~

Re: Declawing Siamese?

in my opinion if it's to be an inside cat it's best to have those claws taken away... I have a beautiful 'Flame Point' Siamese (Azul, named for her awesome sky blue eyes) and worse then the tears on my couches and chairs (which there are lots of) and the shredding of the carpets under every door in my house (she learned she can open the doors that way if they're not latched all the way) recently she got in a fight in the middle of the night with a neighbor cat through my bedroom window, and when I went to pick her up and throw her out so I could sleep, she shredded the flesh on my arm and wrist and nearly bit all the way through my thumb.... so in my opinion any inside cat, and especialy dominant and territorial cats like siamese, should have their claws removed!

If it isn't too late....I highly recommend that you DO NOT declaw your siamese, even if he/she is an indoor kitty. If he/she would ever get outside by accident, he/she wouldn't be able to properly defend him/herself. Furthermore, declawing is not just the removal of the nail, and it can permanently maim your kitty. Siamese in general are so intelligent that it is not difficult to teach them where they may or may not scratch and how rough or gentle they must be with you.

Re: Re: Declawing Siamese?

It probably is too late, but for those of you reading this it may help in your own decision.
I personally feel that de-clawing is inhumane and an easy way out for pet owners.
With a little persistance on your part you can train your cat, whether it be Siamese or something else, to use a scratching post. Cats are very smart, especially Siamese, and they will learn quickly.
I have grown up with Siamese cats and all of them used a scratching post and never destroyed any piece of furniture.
You show them the scratching post, and even show them how to scratch. Then, when they try to scratch your couch, say no, take them to the scratching post and tell them how good they are. By doing this a few times they will learn and eventually leave your furniture alone. Some people will even use a spray bottle of water to help their cats learn what the word no means.
Trust me, by doing this you will save your furniture and teach your cats what the word no means.
And both you and your cat will appreciate it!

I kinda forgot that I posted this thread...but I decided not to declaw my siamese Cat. If you want to know he is a Seal Point and his name is 'Sushi.' He is about 14 months and I love him to death!