Lordco Auto Parts Forum

none

Lordco Auto Parts Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1981 Toyota Tercel

Here is the situation. I have a 1981 Toyota Tercel (2DR, automatic, 3A engine). The car failed its last Aircare last month. Driving Test passed easily, but Idle Test failed miserably: HC 2000ppm (Maximum Allowable 418ppm), and CO 4.86% (Maximum Allowable 4.68%). The big problem is hydrocarbon levels in the Idle emissions. I've had the car for 10 years now,
and it has always passed with flying colours. Last year Idle HC was 145ppm and CO was 1.20%. I do not drive the car much, and only put on about 2000 kilometres since last Aircare test. I have detected the odour of HC in the car compartment for the past several months.

I have replaced the PCV (which was a job as I had to pull the valve cover to extract the old one), and air cleaner. Something interesting is that the valve cover nuts were only loosely attached - I'd guess torqued at less than 5 pounds. There is a fair bit of oil on the block. I'm wondering if I have been blowing oil out of the engine. Last year my first attempt to AirCare was denied as they would not test the car because it was blowing some blue smoke. I took the car into a Aircare-certified garage that replaced the valve seals. Then the car was Aircare tested, and passed easily. But it seems that the mechanic only loosely tightened the valve cover nuts.

The idle does run rough, so I was thinking of trying to adjust the carburetor (and clean it as I purchased a bottle of carb cleaner).

But, there is one other issue which complicates matters. For the past few months, there has been a issue with the starter system. Occasionally, the
engine would not turn over. Just click, click from starter. No spark. After a few tries, engine would turn over - seems to be more a problem when the
engine is cold than when it is warm. Now, I cannot start engine. Well, I did last time, but after several minutes of periodically trying. So, I need to
have the starter system checked.

I'm wondering whether the oil being blown onto the block from the loosely attached valve cover could have caused the car to fail Aircare. And whether
the oil could have fouled the starter system - gummed up the works, so to say. Both problems did not exist prior to the last service, and developed
around the same time.

Re: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Sounds like the starter is developing a flat spot or the solenoid wire running to the starter is loose or toasted. The high hydrocarbon levels could be due to leaving the car sit so long without being driven causing the catalytic converter to possibly deteriorate? Just a guess!

Re: Re: 1981 Toyota Tercel

For youre hyrdro carbons are high, Is due to catylic converter, In which could have had happen when youre valves seals were worn, The oil burning through the exhaust more likely hooped the Cat, In which causes you to fail air care Test. The carbs on all toyota's and other vehicles are common to need adjustments
Good Luck. Hope the tips help you out.