Return to Website

Harpo Tribute Page Message Board

Hello everyone! Welcome to the message board, honk honk!!!!

Harpo Tribute Page Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harpo's birth date

Most sources I've come across state that Harpo was born in 1888. However, some sources - including his autobiography - state 1893 as his birth date. A similar 5-year discrepancy in the birthdates of Groucho and Chico also appear.

Does anybody out there know his/their actual birthdates? And why the confusion?

Re: Harpo's birth date

An update on my previous message...

I found photos of Groucho and Chico's grave sites. Their birth dates are listed as 1890 and 1887 respectively. Therefore, Harpo was apparently born in 1888, as most sources indicate. (Since Harpo was cremated, there is apparently no grave site.) So why does he give his birth date as 1893, in "Harpo Speaks"? It is not in keeping with his character to do this out of vanity. Could he have been confused himself about this? Or was he "covering" for vanity on the part of his brothers?

Not that all this really matters. He is still my favorite comedian of all times. But it is an intriguing litle mystery.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Most sources I've come across state that Harpo was born in 1888. However, some sources - including his autobiography - state 1893 as his birth date. A similar 5-year discrepancy in the birthdates of Groucho and Chico also appear.

Does anybody out there know his/their actual birthdates? And why the confusion?

Re: Re: Harpo's birth date

In "The Groucho Phile" Groucho mentions that when the brothers came to California to begin working for Paramount in 1930, the publicity department took five years off their ages. That could explain the confusion concerning Harpo's birthdate.

Harpo is my favorite Marx brother, and the one I would have liked to have met in person!