Return to Website

Harpo Tribute Page Message Board

Hello everyone! Welcome to the message board, honk honk!!!!

Harpo Tribute Page Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: How I met, and fell in love with, Harpo

In 1972, I was 13 years old here in Utah. My brother flew in from L.A. to spend Christmas with our family, and his gift for me that year was a book called "Why a Duck?" which was on the Marx Brothers. I started reading and looking at the pictures, and wanted desperately to see one of the brothers' films, but there was no venue to do so, and I couldn't find anything on television at the time.

One day I noticed that there was this small theater in Salt Lake City called THE BLUE MOUSE that was showing "Horsefeathers." I asked my parents to take me there to see the film, and they allowed me to take a couple of buddies. Needless to say after seeing the film, I was a confirmed fan. So were my friends. The Blue Mouse continued to show many of the Marxes' films. My folks were probably tired of driving their son and his friends 25 miles to see a film, but they knew that I was passionate about it, and never complained.

In 9th grade, I did a research paper on the brothers, and it became apparent to me that Harpo was becoming my favorite. Everyone that was interviewed said that he was truly a saint, and also everyone's favorite, including Groucho. Arthur Marx, Groucho's son, reported in his book "Son of Groucho" that that was the only time he saw his father cry, was when Harpo died. Harpo's son Billy said, "I wish I could convey the sense of self Harpo had...I wish I could...but I can't."

Not only has Harpo always tickled my funny bone, he has always been an example to me of how to live life as a father, friend, and husband. "Harpo Speaks" is truly a wonderful book, and at the first Harpo says, "I don't know if my life has been a success or a failure." I can assure you, Harpo....you were a success!! Rest in peace, my friend. HONK HONK!