The Creek Freedmen Forum

"Every Muscogee citizen, whether his skin is red, white or black, has equal rights and privileges in this (Creek) Nation. Even the most abject, poor and ignorant is entitled to equal consideration with the most distinguished, rich and learned at the hands of our officers." Isparhecher

Forum: The Creek Freedmen Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Bruner Family

my late wifes side of her family has ceasar bruner, william bruner and affie bruner. I am trying to talk to any family members that are still living. My name is james martinez.

Email  
Re: Bruner Family

Welcome to the Creek Freedmen site.
I love the cross tribal history with this Bruner family. William and Affie Bruner had 'full' children in both the Creek and Seminole Nations. Their sons Paro and William were Creek citizens on listed on the Creek Freedmen rolls. Paro Bruner having the historic honor of being the first to enroll with the Dawes Commissioners. William (roll#50) aonther son of William and Affie Bruner, was a Creek citizen.
Paro Bruner picture is on this website;
http://www.thecreekfreedmen.com/id7.html

Caesar Bruner, also the son of William and Affie Bruner was a citizen of the Seminole Nation. Affie Bruner was a citizen of the Seminole Nation....this was a very interesting family.

Is your wife a citizen of the Seminole Nation?
Tec

Email  

William (aka Paden)and Affie also had another son, John. I am a direct descendant of John's. He is on Seminole Freedman card 828. John was the father of my gggrandfather Benjamain F.Ben is listed as freedman even though John's wife Grace was a fullblood Seminole. And this where the tale gets more interesting as Ben married a Rentie who were prominent Creek Freedman. Ben and his wife Ellen narratives are told in the Indian Pioneer papers site
http://digital.libraries.ou.ed/whc/pioneers. Enter Bruner in the scearch box

Email  

I am trying to find any information on Ceasar Bruner. The information I found is, ceasar last name is James. He is Creek Freedmen. His roll number is #36. I am looking up info on my wife side of her family. Her grand fathers name was Rutherford Flemming. His mothers name was Mary B. Bruner,John Bruner was her brother. My wife name was Jacqueline Tinney. My name is James Martinez.

Email  

The Caesar James you mention is the son of Tony James (none Creek) and Rose Bruner, he was married to a Chickasaw citizen name Cereus James...children listed were Rosie, Perry, Henrietta and Sampson....

Email  

James & Eli,
Need some help on this one. I have Ceasar James(1857) being born to Tony James and Rose Grayson. Rose's dad was a John Grayson, so which Bruner did she marry. Also have Ceasar married Serena Franklin(1870) with children Rosie,Sampson,Samuel,Simon(triplets,Louella and Lanie

Email  

Caesar James is my Great grandfather. To the original poster, I suspect that there is a connection between Rose Bruner Brown of Creek Freedman of Canadian Col. Town and Caesar Bruner The leader of the Seminole band that goes by his name.

The brothers are listed as: Caesar, William, Perry, John....I kind of believe that Perry and Paro are same person. William lives in same community at Paro...very close.I notice that in earlier census and in U.S. census Rose always lives close to Paro and William
Angela

Email  

perhaps your late wife is my cousin Sherri Lynn?
Angela

Email  

Angela,
Interesting observation that Perry and Paro may be the same person. I was able to find enrollment cards for Paro(Creek Freedman card 1) and William(Creek Freedman Dawes card 12) and Caesar(Seminole freedman card 740) and Ben Bruner(John's son) Interview in the Indian Pioneer Collection https://digital.libraries.ou.edu/whc/pioneer/papers/12836%20Bruner.pdf, but no card for Perry. However if you read Ben's interview you will see that John had four brothers, which means to me that Perry and Paro are different individuals. Interested in what your fresh eyes see

Email  

Hello Charles,
I had read that interview and somehow because not named, missed that. It does seem to imply five brothers. I had noticed that a "Paro Johnson" in Canadian Cold becomes "Perry Johnson" later on Dawes and Census.

I have a hunch there are kinship ties, that I have yet to figure out for a few reasons.
1) Caesar James name and those of his children which include (Rose, Perry, Sampson)
2) I have a story about a foiled execution which includes my ggrandpa Caesar James and cousins that I will paste here. The discovery of this story got me interested in this branch again. Now I cannot stop reading and thinking about them!

This story is from Our Brother in Red but made national newswire

"The Prisoners Escaped.1891
Eufaula, I. T. , April 20.&emdash;Those who, through the storm of Sunday, traveled from the country round, the nearest railroad station being this point, some 60 miles distant to the Court House of the Wewaka [sic] district, Creek Nation, to witness the execution of the seven negroes condemned to be shot today were doomed to disappointment. No prisoners were to be seen, and all the officers were scouring the woods in pursuit of four of the condemned men, who through the carelessness of their guards, escaped Friday night and have not been recaptured. Those who escaped were Ross Riley, Perry Johnson, Cudjo Barnett and Douglas Brown. The latter [Éhaving been convicted] for the third time of horse-stealing was, under the laws of the Nation, condemned to be shot. The other three of the seven&emdash; Lake Andy, Prince Hawkins and Jeff Brown&emdash;were pardoned Saturday night by Governor Perryman.
The crime for which six of the men were sentenced was the killing of Robert Reed and Wiley Wallo, two Tulsatowa [sic] Indians, who, with warrants for a negro named Bruner, on October 20, 1889, in attempting to arrest him, killed him. In retaliation Lake Andy, Prince Hawkins, Jeff Brown, Ross Riley, Perry Johnson, Cudjo Barnett and Caesar James, the latter convicted but not captured, rode from a neighboring church, after hearing the news of Bruner's killing, to Tulsatowa [sic] and killed Reed and Wallo, shooting them literally to pieces.
So 20 light horsemen of the Wewaka [sic] and Deep Fork districts had been summoned to the scene of the proposed execution to prevent any rescue by friends of the condemned men, rumors of which were afloat, but arrived too late. The Tulsatowa [sic] Indians are greatly excited and trouble is anticipated. There was but one guard over the men, who were chained together, a negro, Robert Taylor, a light horseman of the Wewaka [sic] district, and it is thought that he connived at their escape. In the light of surrounding circumstances, in fact, it is thought that the authorities were not worried whether the prisoners escaped or not. The Tulsatowa [sic] Indians demand that every effort be made for the recapture of the escaped men. [25 Apr 1891]"

Email  

Angela,
I have been told by my cousin Lauren that the name Paro often is the shorthand for Pharaoh and oftens is used to denote tribal chief in the Creek nation. In Paro Bruner case I have not seen where his name is anything other than Paro and can find no records after his census card and a early 1900 census card that associates a Perry's with Paro's family.

Caesar James and Serena Franklin had a child Rosie James who married a John Bruner who was the grandson of Paden(William Sr) the family patriarch and the father of Caesar Bruner.

The bruner that you mentioned was likely Wash Bruner, son of Caesar Bruner http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/e8945e37-0c26-4974-964c-1ad3c42dde47.jpg?client=Trees Wash was Killed by Marshall Ayres and posse on 2-1 1892

Email  

Hi Charles,
Yes, have heard of the Paro as Pharoh. I guess my thinking is that Ben may have referred to Paro as "Perry", or (more likely) the interviewer HEARD it as "Perry". My presumption is only based upon that I do not find a "Perry" Bruner in the earlier census (pre-Dawes).

Rosie(child of Caesar James and Serena Franklin) indeed married a John Bruner....the cross marriages and same names make me a bit dizzy.

Rosie James is listed as living also with Rose Brown in an earlier census

Email  

Quote: Charles Gibson
Angela,

The bruner that you mentioned was likely Wash Bruner, son of Caesar Bruner http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/e8945e37-0c26-4974-964c-1ad3c42dde47.jpg?client=Trees Wash was Killed by Marshall Ayres and posse on 2-1 1892

I dont think this is the same. Various news articles refer to this in very racial terms and indicate the year as 1890....
I will think and research further, as I really want to find out who the Bruner was that was killed. I believe it was a cousin to the accused.
Angela
(very excited)

Email  

The Bruner's often fought among themselves so I kinda remember the incident you are referring to. By the way,Rosie James 12
1884–1970
BIRTH 1884 • Oklahoma
DEATH 14 APR 1970 • Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
wife of 1st cousin 3x removed
daughter of Caesar James
Husband John Bruner
Children:Myrtle,Frankie,Cordia

Email  

Hi Charles,
I have Rosie James in my Family Tree along with Frankie, Cordia and Myrtle.
I also have Floosie and Rosevelt Cawthorne as her children.
I never find her living with John Bruner, do you?

She is listed in census as married to Johnson Cawthorne for less than a year, the following census is listed as "widowed"

I am a James, and let's just say the family history of fierce fights within, but willing to kill FOR....has continued albeit in a gentler and legal manner, lol

Also very much a family cultural pattern is extended family caring for each other's children in times of transition.

I study family as a sociologist/demographer, so know that listing as widow when one is divorced or never married with children is not uncommon.
Genealogy is my hobby and I am far from expert in it, so grateful for all tips!!!

Thank you for your wonderful tips....I am following and trying to catch up.

Angela James

Email  

Angela,
No I never find her living with John but they did have 3 kids together. As you know our ancestors lived in freedman communities which condoned polygamy, especially the more prestigious men. So descendants of Caesar Bruner's menfolk or even any Bruner's were given free rein to do that. Although Myrtle's & Frankie's California death indexes show a Bruner as their father and Frankie's literature that is given out the funeral states John is her dad,the best evidence I have of John's paternity is http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/d9e58ae4-e781-442f-8f35-aec7c8c2f568/21470541/1539839279?_phsrc=LRa853&usePUBJs=true and
http://interactive.ancestry.com/60543/43873_2421401757_0423-00027?pid=113604&backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fssrc%3dpt_t21470541_p1089264949_kpidz0q3d1089264949z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid_m1%26srchb%3dr%26gss%3dangs-g%26rank%3d1%26tid%3d21470541%26pid%3d1089264949%26gpid%3d%26gsfn%3dMyrtle%26gsln%3dBruner%26msbdy%3d1902%26msddy%3d1985%26msbpn__ftp%3dOklahoma%252c%2bUnited%2bStates%26msdpn__ftp%3dSan%2bFrancisco%252c%2bCalifornia%26cp%3d12%26cpxt%3d1%26msrpn__ftp%3dBarnard%252c%2bHughes%252c%2bOklahoma%26msfng%3dJohn%26msfns%3dBruner%26msmng%3dRosie%26msmns%3dJames%26msbng0%3dFrankie%2bKizzie%26msbns0%3dBruner%26msbng1%3dCordia%26msbns1%3dBruner%26msbng2%3dRoosevelt%2bLaron%26msbns2%3dCawthorne%26msbng3%3dFlossie%26msbns3%3dCawthorne%26_83004003-n_xcl%3dm%26MSAV%3d1%26pcat%3dROOT_CATEGORY%26h%3d113604%26recoff%3d5%2b6%2b22%2b33%2b34%26db%3dFtWorthEnrollmentCards%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d3&ssrc=pt_t21470541_p1089264949_kpidz0q3d1089264949z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid_m1&treeid=21470541&personid=1089264949&hintid=&usePUB=true
Are you on ancestry.com? Actually genealogy is my passion.Have you read The Seminole Freedman A history by Kevin Mulroy? Much space is given to my direct family clan Bruners so I might be biased to say this was a excellent read.

Email  

Hi Charles,
This exchange is delighting me!!
I am on Ancestry and maybe easier to connect there, see I see we are member connection!!! Reading now!

I was being delicate and using shorthand.....I am a JAMES is code for "I know how the family rolls and outsider eyes cannot always understand". I am keen to have documentation of what I think I "know"....so understood that the three children likely belong to John Bruner and merely longed for documentation! I am so happy to connect with you distant cousin

Angela James

Email  

Definitely delighted to find a person interested in the same trees I am ,and to know that were related GREAT. Just emailed you

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com