The Creek Freedmen Forum

"Every Muscogee citizen, whether his skin is red, white or black, has equal rights and privileges in this (Creek) Nation. Even the most abject, poor and ignorant is entitled to equal consideration with the most distinguished, rich and learned at the hands of our officers." Isparhecher

Forum: The Creek Freedmen Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
« | | 1 | 2 | | »
Author
Comment
Allotments of Creek Freedmen

What determined the amount of acres a freedman could be allotted? I noticed some freedmen received 40 acres of land while others received more. Anybody can answer this question please.

Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

Nearly all the Creek Freedmen received a 160 acre allotment. 40 of the 160 was called a homestead and could not be taxed or sold for a certain period of time. It left the appearance of the individual receiving only 40 acres, while the 120 acres could have been sold (or stolen) upon receiving the allotment....hope this helps

Email  
Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

hello i just recieved paperwork from texas which shows the land my grandfather was allotmented and 1 paper says 40 acres and the other says 160 i'm very confused. my grandfather has a roll number but its still hard to become a member. thanks for letting me spill my thoughts

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

Yes, you are correct. The 40 acres was the homestead. My ancestor's land was sold within a year (9 months after being recorded).

Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

right now i'm in the process of trying to get my cdib card, but can't find my grandfathers birth cert. he was born in 1901 on indian territory i have his roll # but that doesn't help much.

Email   myjealsmom  

norma do you live in oklahoma

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

No. What is your ancestor's census card number? And if you know your ancestor's land description, I can check to see how many times the land was sold, if you the descendant is not the present owner.

The Presley name sounds familiar with the Presley family buried in the Creek Freedmen Cemetery. Anderson Davis, the husband of Lucinda Davis and the half brother of my ancestor, is buried there (Wagoner County).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

can you e-mail me i would like to talk a little further

Email   myjealsmom  

my grandfathers land was in wagoner and tulsa but i know its been sold thats what i was told

Email   myjealsmom  

Alexia Presley what is your grandfather's name and roll number. Since he was born before Oklahoma statehood he will not have a OK birth certificate unless he applied for a delayed one latter in life. You should be able to used the actual Dawes census card for proof of birth or his social security adstract or even a court record of somekind.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

Yes, I'm sure it's been sold (many times) if you're not the present owner. These are the Pressley's buried in Creek Freedman Cemetery: Josephine Pressley, J.S. Pressley, husband of Minnie Pressley. Also, Jessie Pressley, the daughter of J.S. and Minnie.

It was total of 160 acres....40 of which was a homestead. One thing to remember, the land value could not exceed $1,040 dollars. The allotments in Tulsa where a lot smaller because the value of the land was greater.
My grandfather, Eli Grayson Sr. received 154 acres in Okmulgee county plus one acre in Tulsa...it all total to the amount of 1,040 dollars.....

Email  

I don't quite understand the value system but the land sold for I think $2,400 something like that. No mention as to the reason the land was sold

hello my grandfathers name is harrison presley roll #1316

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

my grandfather is harrison presley Roll # 1316

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

Your grandfather, Harrison Presley is listed on the by blood roll, cc#403. You know this already. What are the questions you want to ask me and I will e-mail you later in the evening.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

yes i have that info thank you talk to you later

Email   myjealsmom  

The 1,040 dollars was an amount set by congress. Once a citizen received the land, it could be sold for any amount of money...or stolen for nothing.

Email  

Oh yes on the Creek by blood roll....
He was only year and half old....is he the one that died in 1967 in Tx?
You should be able to get his school records with his parents names, along with a social security adstract (thats the application he used to file for a social security number) alone with his dawes census card and get a delayed birth certificate....

Email  

i have my grandfathers ss# and my fathers birth cert. now i need my grandfathers birth cert.

Email   myjealsmom  

yes he died is 1967. once i get the paper i need how hard will it be for me becoming a member

Email   myjealsmom  

listen...you need your grandfather's social security abstract (a document from the Social Security Office of his application for a social security number)...you can apply for a copy of it at your local Social Security Office....with the abstract you can get a delayed birth certificate from Oklahoma.

Email  

thank you i will give that a try the social security office.

Email   myjealsmom  

For some people its very easy to apply for citizenship....for others who have broken lines or ties with the Muscogee Nation its a little harder.
You need to make sure you have all the documentation you can get.
First make sure you have your own personal papers in line...such as your birth certificate etc...
Second make sure your father's information is correct including his birth certificate and/or death certificate plus any school records showing his parents names...or social security abstract..

Then make sure you have the allottee name correct..his census card...his death certificate....one question why is the Citizenship office asking you for a birth certificate of someone born before statehood?...the only record you should provide is his death certificate....

Email  

okay i think i can get my grandfathers death cert. because i've been waiting 2 months for an answer about his birth cert.

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

yeah...he died in TX in 1967....so you would need to get it from the TX state vitals...

also I notice you said you applied for your CDIB card...make sure you are applying for both your CDIB card and your tribal citizenship card.....two different things.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

i haven't applied yet waiting to get my grandfathers birth cert. now i'm going to apply for his death cert. i have mine, my dad's, birth cert. the creek nation sent me the citizenship and tribal paperwork just have to get the rest of the paperwork to turn everything in

Email   myjealsmom  

will the nation allow me ro apply while living in san diego , ca

Email   myjealsmom  

what is a quit claim?

i have no ideal

Email   myjealsmom  

Sorry, the question of what is a quit claim was for Eli.

A quitclaim is form of real estate transfer where the owner of the deed gives up their interest in the real estate (usually in exchange for money).

Note: that a quit claim deed has many pitfalls and may be legally challenged if not executed and documented correctly.

ie. In Illinois if a person acquired property via "quit claim" but failed to record it, another individual could get a more recent quit claim from the "Owner who forgot they already sold the property" and recorded the transaction before the first guy. The legal owner will be the second guy who actually recorded the paperwork with the county.

Like my lawyer once told me" First one to the Recorder's office wins!"

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

what is a quit claim?

Email  

Its a real estate legal term...
try this link...
http://homebuying.about.com/od/glossaryqr/g/quitclaimdeed.htm

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

You don't need a birth certificate for your grandfather..he is an original enrollee (allottee) of the Creek Nation...technically he is already enrolled. However, you will need his death certificate.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

My dear, I live in Palm Springs. You are allowed to live anywhere to be a citizen of the Creek Nation.

We have a California Muscogee (Creek) Association...we are having a Christmas party on the 13th of Dec. in Yorba Linda....you would be more than welcome.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

thank you so much. you helped me answer alot of question i had. i would love to learn more about california muskogee nation.

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

okay will get working on that now thank you again and again. i'm new at this

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

Its the California Muscogee (Creek) Association...not nation...we are citizens of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma, we just happen to live in California.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

i'm very sorry. I was told you have to live in oklahoma to be a member of muskogee creek nation.

Email   myjealsmom  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

no...you can live anywhere in the world...someone lied to you.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Allotments of Creek Freedmen

yeah i quess they did i was so worried i would have to move to oklahoma. i 've been trying to find my ancestors for 2 years and just got the info from texas and i've been waiting for my grandfathers birth cert. but thanks to you i know what i need to do now

Email   myjealsmom  

Do you know a Lawrence William Presley, born August 15th, 1919?

Email  

yes thats my dad big brother.

Email   myjealsmom  

he was paid in 1971 for the Creek Judgement fund...he had to apply back in the 1960s to get the money...
He was the only Presley lested...Is he currently enrolled in the tribe or any of his kids?
Do your father have female siblings...I could check their names....

Email  

my uncle never had children and the other 5 kids never knew about the indian nation until 15yrs ago
and before my father died dec.20,2006 he tried to get on the roll and they said he didn't qualify, so i just kept tryin to find away to get it for our family. I never knew my uncle was apart of the nation i didn't know you can get paid for being indian. It's all new to me so confusing. thank you what is my uncle's roll #

Email   myjealsmom  

ozzie presley and donna mary presley

Email   myjealsmom  

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks for your answer. The quit claim deed was mentioned for my ancestor in regards to his land. His land was sold several times so I will contact an attorney so he can explain the different transactions. I can't believe that land was put up for sale so quickly for freedmen, even less than a year!!! I feel that freedmen were taken advantage of when selling their land because they could not read or write.

getting paid? What do you mean?

Email  

What was their married names...did they not get married?

Email  

why would the judgement fund give my uncle money it was told the creek nation might help with education i just want to know where i came from.

Email   myjealsmom  
« | | 1 | 2 | | »
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com