Rajah Brooke & Sarawak

Sarawak history message board, 1839-1946

Forum: Rajah Brooke & Sarawak
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Correspondence with Anthony Brooke, Rajah Muda

I was recently living in Sarawak, where my spouse's mother's family comes from. Her grandfather was a prominent Iban politician. Her relatives recently moved out of the old family home, and her cousin showed me a pile of documents belonging to the grandfather. Among these was some fascinating correspondence with Anthony Brooke in 1946, at the time he was planning on coming back to (possibly) lead an uprising to prevent Sarawak becoming a British colony. (Anthony was heir-apparent and not too pleased with Vyner's decision to hand Sarawak over to the Brits.) The correspondence indicates just how close Anthony came to actually doing it - and that he would likely have enjoyed significant local support (one telegram from a couple of days before Anthony was due to land in Sarawak saying something along the lines of "Miri police stand ready for your orders.")
I took digital photos of the docs, but would need to ask permission from the family to use or release them. Anyway, thought it might be interesting to a Brooke enthusiast or scholar.

Email  
Re: Correspondence with Anthony Brooke, Rajah Muda

Hello,

I am researching my grandfathers ( or as I can recall the family stories) claim that he was second cousin the James Brooke.

My grandfather: (no middle name given by parents) Brooke HODSON #100 (4.Jonathan3, 2.John2, 1.William1) born 13 Nov 1898, Woolwich Kent, ENG, Church of England, occupation telegraph operator, married 03 Oct 1919, in South Vancouver, BC, CAN,

My grandmother:
Miriam Atholine WHITE #130, also known as: Minerva WHITE born cir 1898, Gloucester, England, (daughter of Thomas Charles WHITE #667 and Miriaiu Anne SPURLE #668) occupation telephone operator.

Brooke Hodson died 13 Apr 1970, Powell River , BC, CAN, buried: 16 Apr 1970, P. River Cemetery, Powell River BC, CAN.

My christian name, as strange and ironic as it may seem is:
Anthony Brooke Hodson
born may 29 1955
Vancouver, BC, Canada

I have just started to try to find if I am a decendant of James and /or Charlie Brooke or ??

Thank you, this is the first time at this forum, so you can contact me at my office is in Kamloops, BC

reply email to: bhodson@cariboo.bc.ca

tel (250) 371-5884
Programmer / Analyst
Information Technology Services
Thompson Rivers University - Kamloops, BC

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was recently living in Sarawak, where my spouse's mother's family comes from. Her grandfather was a prominent Iban politician. Her relatives recently moved out of the old family home, and her cousin showed me a pile of documents belonging to the grandfather. Among these was some fascinating correspondence with Anthony Brooke in 1946, at the time he was planning on coming back to (possibly) lead an uprising to prevent Sarawak becoming a British colony. (Anthony was heir-apparent and not too pleased with Vyner's decision to hand Sarawak over to the Brits.) The correspondence indicates just how close Anthony came to actually doing it - and that he would likely have enjoyed significant local support (one telegram from a couple of days before Anthony was due to land in Sarawak saying something along the lines of "Miri police stand ready for your orders.")
I took digital photos of the docs, but would need to ask permission from the family to use or release them. Anyway, thought it might be interesting to a Brooke enthusiast or scholar.

Email  

MR Pocock can you help me please? I would like to know the relationship between Elizabeth Brooke {princess Pearl of Sarawak wife of Harry Roy]and GOVENOR Brooke last "White" Gov.of SARAWAK 1963?
I had the honour of having Tiffin with him and Mrs. Brooke.at the official residence in Kuchin in 63.while serving with the Royal Marines there.
Your help will be much appreciated
Terence

Email  

Mr. Warner,

I read your posting and I thought that I might be able to help a little. Here is a link to the Brooke family genealogy: http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Malaysia/sarawak5.htm

Elizabeth Brooke was Rajah Charles Vyner Brooke's 2nd daughter. She was indeed married to the band leader Harry Roy.

Vyner Brooke, who was the 3rd and last rajah of Sarawak died in England in 1963, so I don't think he was the Brooke you had tea with in 1963. Vyner left Sarawak before the outbreak of WWII and from everything I read, he never returned. After the war Sarawak was under Australian military administration. And in 1946 Sarawak was ceded to Great Britain. It became independent in 1963 and joined Malaysia. I don't know which Brooke would have been in Sarawak then ... I believe Anthony Brooke was banned from entering the country. I will reread my history from that period to confirm this.

And I can also find out who the Governor was at that time in 1963 before independence.

Hope this helps clear some things up for you.

Evelyn

Email  

Mr. Warner,

I did check my facts ... I do have one correction ... Rajah Vyner Brooke did return briefly to Sarawak in April 1946 to explain his decision to hand Sarawak to Great Britain. And by July 1946 Sarawak became a colony. The last British governor was Sir Alexander Waddell who left Sarawak in September 1963 when Sarawak became part of Malaysia. There were no Brookes present in Sarawak at that time in any official capacity.

Evelyn

Email  

Hi, I will be interested in looking at those documents if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

Thank you,
Diane Lowe

Email  

Hi Diane,

The information was obtained from several different history books about Sarawak and the Brooke administrators. One that I can remember is:
TALIB, Naimah S., Administrators and their service : The Sarawak administrative service under the Brooke rajahs and British colonial rule Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1999. I'll have to check at home for the rest of the titles but I suspect that if you checked this very website for "Books on Brooke" you will get any number of books that will give you the same information -- the facts are fairly well known.

Evelyn

Email  

Hi Evelyn

You seemed to know a fair bit about Sarwak History. I am particularly interested to craft an objective story of Sarwak. I grew up there and the history books we studied in school were simple ones from the British. I have since lost touch with the place, having lived in KL for most part of my life.

Where would be a good place to hunt for history books on Sarawak. There used to be a good reference book called "Sarawak and its people".

Email  

Hello to everyone here and thank you for sending email to this post. I have not heard from the original {poster} person ;) so am posting a question again as I feel that there may be blood relation to one Edward Brooke, born in England early 1800's
(see first email above)

Our family connections being researched are at;

http://www.hodsonfamily.com/

- thanks to my cousin Eric who created this site

So I am still trying link family connections to England, Borneo, and finally Canada where my relatives ended up after taking long train trip from the Eastern Seaboard to the Westcoast of Canada during the mid 20's.

Cheers,
Brooke

Email  

I have just discovered this site. I too am a decendant of Brooke Hodson of Powell River, BC and was told of a family history related to the Brooke Rajahs of Sarawak. Hence the name Brooke has been handed down from generations through the Hodson family line. Any information or references to resourses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to cousins Brooke and Eric.
Cousin Dave

Email  

Dear Tig

As I have recently been appointed secretary of the Sarawak Association (established in 1925 by members of the last Rajah's civil service), I have only just picked up your message. If you need any further information I am sure members of the Association will be able to help, especially as Brooke family members still play a significant part in supporting the Association. My contact details are David Phillips, 36 Burma Road, London N16 9BJ 020 7249 1735 dalicat@tiscali.co.uk

With best wishes

Email  

Well... first off, Warm Hellos to my cousin David.

RU still living in Alberta? How is the gang doing? How about we take a few days off and go fall fishing near Bella Coola? Let me know what you think...

And to the David (dalicat@tiscali.co.uk)
in Great Britan, Hello from us in Canada!

Great to have you drop a line, especially as member of Sarawak Association.
One contact may be useful is email address for author who wrote "White Rajah: a Dynastic Intrigue".
History is most clear in this book I have found.
She lives in Australia now.
Upon request I would be happy to exchange with forum members Sarawak contacts and websites collected during my research.

After all, that's what a forum is for.... Right!!

On that note I have an idea to run by everone on this message board...

How about a folder {message thread} containing only emails offering/ refering to physical evidence of Rajah Brooke of Sarawack Rule?

Like a Virtual Museum ??

I have read many messages here offering historical evidence; however, have actually seen or read nothing. Digital photos of documents work great!!

...what are your thoughts on this?? Drop me a line

[ Bhodson@tru.ca ]

Cheers,

A Brooke Hodson

Email  

Apple - iPhoneiPhone 3G combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device. It features 3G, built-in GPS, ...
www.apple.com/iphone/ - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
burros
Apple - iPhoneiPhone 3G combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device. It features 3G, built-in GPS, ...
www.apple.com/iphone/ - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Proyectodah - Déficit de Atención e Hiperactividad - [ Traduire cette page ]El Proyectodah de la Fundación Cultural Federico Hoth, A. C. promueve la creación ... El Déficit de Atención y la Hiperactividad es uno de los problemas de ...
www.proyectodah.org.mx/ - 37k - En cache - Pages similaires burros lammoglia ruiz sandra rull burros
ladrones del dinero de los enfermos
Eventos - Proyectodah - Déficit de Atención e Hiperactividad - [ Traduire cette page ]4o CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL SOBRE TRASTORNO POR DÉFICIT DE ATENCIÓN E HIPERACTIVIDAD ... El Proyectodah de la Fundación Federico Hoth AC y Northeastern ...
www.proyectodah.org.mx/productos.Servicios/ver.Evento/?e=16 - 29k - En cache - Pages similaires
Autres résultats, domaine www.proyectodah.org.mx »

I have just found your message regarding Anthony Brooke. My mother was a Brooke also. I met with Anthony back in the 80's and the address I have for him from that time is 49 Grondalavaj,
7000 Copenhagen F, Denmark.
He was at that time travelling with Gita Keiller. They were co-founders in the organisation, Peace through Unity. Anthony was born in 1912, so he may not be still with us.

My Grandfather was Richmond Stanley Brooke 1889

His Father was an Arthur Brooke married to Florence Crook

I have papers for a Richard James Brooke 1832 - D 1870 - Hownsditch London
and William Brooke married to Mary Carter 6th Jan 1829.
I also have a birth certificate for a Mary Brooke born April 20 1800 Nibsworth? UK

Regards
Lyndall

Email  

Hello Tig,

I am the Chairman of the family run Brooke Heritage Trust, which looks after documents, images and artefacts related to the Brooke rule in Sarawak. My grandfather is Anthony Brooke, the last Rajah Muda. He is still with us, aged 98 this year.

If you could get in touch with me about your documents I would be very grateful- We are in the process of digitising everything to make available online.

Best regards,
J Brooke

Email  

Jason,
Thanks for your note. Thrilled to hear that the Rajah Muda is still aive and well.
I have witten to my relatives in Kuching who hold the orignals (a number of hand-written notes and copies of telegrams) to ask if they would object to me providing you photos of the documents which I took a few years ago. The quality is not great, but better than nothing.
Depending on their response, I might be able to ask them to scan higher-quality copies.
Kind regards,
Tig

Email  

This message may not be of great historical importance to the family archives but I would like to mention a wonderful month's holiday in 1946? My parents had a bungalow in Morfa Bychan, North Wales and our next door neighbours were Princess Pearl,her two children and her mother the Ranee.I was only ten years old but can remember her vividly, she had Hollywood star beauty, dressed mainly in shorts and leopard skin half coat. I can still see her mother the Ranee watering her Bonzai plants. I played every day with on the sand dunes with her children David and Roberta? Before they left for America Princess Pearl promised to send me American comics, still waiting, she probably forgot but wonderful memories.

Tommy Thomas.

Email  

This message may not be of great historical importance to the family archives but I would like to mention a wonderful month's holiday in 1946? My parents had a bungalow in Morfa Bychan, North Wales and our next door neighbours were Princess Pearl,her two children and her mother the Ranee.I was only ten years old but can remember her vividly, she had Hollywood star beauty, dressed mainly in shorts and leopard skin half coat. I can still see her mother the Ranee watering her Bonzai plants. I played every day on the sand dunes with her children David and Roberta? Before they left for America Princess Pearl promised to send me American comics, still waiting, she probably forgot but wonderful memories.

Tommy Thomas.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com