NWCA Woodcarving Forum

NWCA Woodcarving Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hand carving mentor/friendship

Hi there, I just moved to Washington and want to learn how to do some hand carving! I'm especially interested in carving my own pipes to smoke some tobacco I'm planning to plant in the spring. I know it's going to take a lot of practice, time, and effort. I also know I'm going to mess up and probably make a couple that are totally unusable, and unattractive. I'm living in Tenino and would love to meet some one (or some people) who would be willing to show me the ropes so I can learn how to do some hand carving!

Re: Hand carving mentor/friendship

Hi Connie, come up to Puyallup for the Northwest Carvers Show & Sale today, Nov 23. Not too far to drive and you can get some tools and information. I believe Capitol Carvers from Olympia have a table set up and you might want to get in touch with them as they are closest to you in Tenino. The show opened at 10 and will close at 4:00 today but that gives you time enough. This is your best bet to get started. It is at the Puyallup Park Pavilion, 330 S Meridian, Puyallup and is about 4 blocks North of the Fairgrounds.