Return to Website

"Mogadishu: Images from the Past"
Open Forum

This Open Forum is part of the Mogadishu: Images from the Past website, managed by Rick Davies. Please feel free to post comments here about that website, or anything to do with life in Mogadishu up to 1990. PLEASE NOTE: Offensive or irrelevant postings will automatically be deleted.

"Mogadishu: Images from the Past"
Open Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Balck Sea area

Thinking back, I think this area includes a depression in between what used to be two rows of sand dunes that the city built over in the 1950's. During very heavy rains the bottom of the depression fills with water and floods, and does not drain anywhere. I can imagine that that could easily have been nicknamed the Black Sea.

The official name for that area (district) was Hodon, I think.

rgeards from Rick Davies

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

In Blackhawk down and other UNOSOM reports the area of the fight was known as the Black Sea area and I thought perhaps it dated back to Italian colonial era - it was where the Bakara market and other weapons selling areas were in Mogadishu in the UNOSOM time frame 1993-94

Replying to:

This term sounds like a post 1990 term.

I knew most of the popular names for different parts of the city in the 1980s, and some from before then, but the "Black Sea" does not ring a bell with me.

regards from Rick Davies

Replying to:

Wanted to know the origin of the district in Mogadishu often referred to as the Black Sea. Where did this name come from?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Sea area

Thanks - that's the best info I've received on the source of the name - will pass along to our history department here - they were the ones asking

Replying to:

Thinking back, I think this area includes a depression in between what used to be two rows of sand dunes that the city built over in the 1950's. During very heavy rains the bottom of the depression fills with water and floods, and does not drain anywhere. I can imagine that that could easily have been nicknamed the Black Sea.

The official name for that area (district) was Hodon, I think.

rgeards from Rick Davies

Replying to:

In Blackhawk down and other UNOSOM reports the area of the fight was known as the Black Sea area and I thought perhaps it dated back to Italian colonial era - it was where the Bakara market and other weapons selling areas were in Mogadishu in the UNOSOM time frame 1993-94

Replying to:

This term sounds like a post 1990 term.

I knew most of the popular names for different parts of the city in the 1980s, and some from before then, but the "Black Sea" does not ring a bell with me.

regards from Rick Davies

Replying to:

Wanted to know the origin of the district in Mogadishu often referred to as the Black Sea. Where did this name come from?

Re: Re: ORIGIN OF THE NAME "Balck Sea area"

The name comes from a Restaurant-cum-Mini Market owned by a popular somali bussiness man located in that Area.

Joe Padrino

Re: Re: Re: ORIGIN OF THE NAME "Balck Sea area"

I forgot to add the name first start to being used in late 1980s.

Re: Balck Sea area

[hi my name is ali and i can't believe how somalia looked in the past. i never seen mogadishu' images before. i though it was just forests and nomadic people. This though me what a great city we had

Replying to:

well i might know much about mogadisho but some say the word MOGADISHO came from an iranian word which is a compination of two words MOGA which means thrown and SHAH which means king. so it all togather means the thrown of the king. bye

Replying to:

Re: Re: Balck Sea area

Black Sea was a famous restaurant located on the corner of of Bakara road and Jidka 30ka (30 ave). The owner lived right behind our house.

I grew up and lived in the nieghborhood. Bakara road divides two districts Hodan and Howlwadaag. The two districts were huge and instead of saying i live Hodan or Howlwadaag you just give your zip or postal code which is black sea area. The person you telling wont be get confused. they will just get of the bus right on black sea restaurant corner.

I hope I clarified some history wanna know more about the area email me

take care

Guled

please i need yo help

hello i would like my family history i mean who were my family what is moga mean i would like who were my grand parents i dont know why but i think the name will help me to find the origin of them thank u so much

Black Sea was a famous restaurant located on the corner of of Bakara road and Jidka 30ka (30 ave). The owner lived right behind our house.

I grew up and lived in the nieghborhood. Bakara road divides two districts Hodan and Howlwadaag. The two districts were huge and instead of saying i live Hodan or Howlwadaag you just give your zip or postal code which is black sea area. The person you telling wont be get confused. they will just get of the bus right on black sea restaurant corner.

I hope I clarified some history wanna know more about the area email me

take care

Guled