For early years resources on-line, including Puppets, Sticky Kids and Insect Lore visit Under5s Online Store

Under5s Message Forum

OUR NEW FORUM IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE

http://under5s.co.uk/phpBB/index.php

THIS FORUM WILL BE CLOSING IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS TIME

Under5s Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre cutting shapes/objects/pictures for childrens art work?

Our topic this month is Transport & we have cut out pictures of buses, boats, cars, trucks, trains, etc & let the children paint them or colour them or do sticking on them. Is this still allowed as I've heard we are not supposed to do this anymore? I look after 2-3 year olds.

Re: Pre cutting shapes/objects/pictures for childrens art work?

I've not heard anything along those lines. In our setting we often pre cut shapes for the children to decorate. We encourage the older/more able children to cut them out themselves and give the younger ones the option to try with our support. We do a daily cutting before snack time each day to help children with these skills but personally I feel it is fine to cut them objects yourself for craft activities as the children are still provided with plenty of opportunities to develop their hand eye coordination and fine motor skills through painting, sticking, colouring the cut outs so I still feel they gain a lot from it!

Re: Pre cutting shapes/objects/pictures for childrens art work?

Thanks Have been speaking to our early years advisor today & she said the same thing so all is good