For early years resources on-line, including Puppets, Sticky Kids and Insect Lore visit Under5s Online Store

Under5s Message Forum

OUR NEW FORUM IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE

http://under5s.co.uk/phpBB/index.php

THIS FORUM WILL BE CLOSING IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS TIME

Under5s Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snack time

Hi,
Just want to see what others do really.
If a child doesn't like a certain snack that is being provided during the morning, would you offer an alternative for him/her. We are trying to encourage healthy eating and there is only 1 child that doesn't like fruit. He will drink his milk, but doesn't eat. We've spoken to his Parents and they said that he will not eat any type of fruit or veg at home and if he doesn't want it, then that's fine, but I feel rotten that he's not eating anything. He doesn't complain, he'll chat freely with others while they are eating, but still doesn't change the fact that I feel bad!

Re: Snack time

We had one child who did not like fruit so he had a plain boring biscuit.Everyone has their likes and dislikes and children are entitled to a choice!!!

we never offer an alternative. We don't even have biscuits in the setting any more. some children choose not to have the snack, some because they don't like it and some because they don't feel like it - I don't feel guilty about it.

Could you not encourage him to try a tiny bit and reward him with a bit of biscuit? If his parents aren't giving him fruit when is he ever going to try it?

We made a decision (with input from ofsted initially!) not to have biscuits, plain or otherwise as so much emphasis is put on healthy eating. We used to vary snack time - toast, cheese and crackers, but we were guided towards having fruit only.
We've tried rewards, but it hasn't worked. Maybe I've just got to stop feeling guilty and respect his choice!
Thank you for your replies!!

would u always eat something if offered it? if only one thing on offer and u dont fancy it would u want to eat it cos someone else thinks u should? would u rather to choose to eat if or what u want? do u think if u were really hungry and only fruit on offer u would probably eat it?

not trying to sound critical, just been aware in my past couple days thinkin to think/work with kids in a way i would like to b worked with.

food for thought so to speak!!!

Today we had, cheese and crackers, digestive biscuit, bananas, apples, raisins, cuecumber, satsumas,and cherries! and there was one little lad, who didn't like any of the above!...

Thanks kembub,
I agree and said about being his choice, suppose I am looking at it the wrong way. I must add that it isn't just one variety of fruit, we have at least 5 or 6 choices. When we first introduced just fruit, it wasn't very well received by the children, but over the months, they love it, all ask for more! (except for the boy!) Won't beat myself up about it anymore then.

Anon 22, when serving the children their snack, carry on placing a piece of fruit in front of the child that will not eat it. Say nothing, just place it in front of him and remove it when all the children have finished eating. This way, IF he decides he would like to try a piece of fruit, then he has the choice without asking.
We only serve fruit during our morning snack. The children all have the same (we are included in the school's free fruit scheme so no choice really, but hey, it's all free!). If a child refuses the fruit on offer, we leave it in the fruit basket on the table. It's up to the child then if he/she eats it or not. All our children now eat the fruit on offer. It could be your little lad has a genuine dislike of fruit, full stop. As long as he is drinking his milk he is getting enough nourishment until lunch time.