Return to Website

Maritime Research Forum

This is a forum for maritime questions and answers, please feel free to put in your questions here and also feel free to answer any questions you find here. All inputs which not have anything to do with shiphistory will be deleted by the webmaster.

Maritime Research Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
m/v Riverside

I have a question, can anyone please help me solve history of the end of the ship below. I have no trace of her after the arrest in Salerno, Italy.

There are rumours that she have been taken over by the Italian Navy and converted to a Minelayer but she is still registered in Lloyds Register 1994-95 at the owner in Panama. I am greatfull to any help that solve this problem,because I will try to finish the book over the ships built at Oresundsvarvet AB in Landskrona before the end of this year.

1935: Delivered to Stockholms Rederi AB Svea, Stockholm, Sweden as WARUN.

1939.12.13. - 1945.10.25.: Requisted by the Swedish Navy and

converted to Armed Merchant Cruiser/Minelayer and used as Auxillary Ship No. 5.

1945.10.25.: Converted to a general cargo ship and handed over to her former owners as WARUN.

1956.08.03.: Grounded at Havringe, Sweden with fire in cargo hold #2 and was abandoned by her crew.

1956.08.10.: Refloated, and towed first to Oxelosund and then to Finnboda Varf, Stockholm where she was declared as a "total loss".

1956: Sold to Sten A. Olssons Handels AB, Gothenburg and towed to Solvesborgs Varf where she was repaired and lengthened. New dim.:Loa=78,28, Grt=993.

1957: Registered on Rederiet for m.s. Margit (H. Sjosten),

Gothenburg, Sweden. And renamed MARGIT.

1964: Transferred to Stena AB, Gothenburg, Sweden.

1965.11.: Sold to Levante Shipping Co. Ltd., Famagusta, Cyprus and renamed ARISTIDES.

1979: Sold to Astritis Mar. Inc., Panama and renamed RIVERSIDE.

1980.05.22.: Confiscated by Italian customs outside Italy for

cigarette

smuggle and towed to Salerno,

Italy where she was laid in arrest.

Still in LR 1994-95.